Change The Temper Of The Mind (NICE THOUGHT)

I was thinking today how we are always trying hard to engage our minds in chanting and concentrating on the sound vibration of the holy names, actually we shouldn't think too much about the mind but just chant and hear, because by doing this our mind will be trained to concentrate and won't bother us with so many thoughts about what we should be doing - how, future, present, past and so on. Here is a nice quote from Srila Prabhupada about the mind, hope you like it.

It Is One’s Mind that generates different kinds of bodies for suffering different kinds of material pangs. Therefore as long as the mind is absorbed in fruitive activities, the mind is understood to be absorbed in nescience, and thus one is sure to be subjected to material bondage in different bodies again and again until one develops a transcendental love for Godhead, Vasudeva, the Supreme Person. To become absorbed in the transcendental name, quality, form and activities of the Supreme Person, Vasudeva, means to change the temper of the mind from matter to absolute knowledge, which leads one to the path of absolute realization and thus frees one from the bondage of material contact and encagements in different material bodies.

Srimad Bhagavatam 2.9.36 purport

Engaging our minds in the chanting of the holy names facilitates and helps us to focus on the Lord's names and we know that this is the right consciousness for the time of death which can be anytime....we never know. My son said he was going to make my astrological chart in India, so I told him I didn't want to know when I was going to die and he told me, maybe its good because you can prepare yourself so I felt so scared, what will I be thinking of this day - will I be able to chant properly? Am I prepared to die now? Definitely not...I hardly concentrate when I am chanting, but I would like to become a nice chanter, serious and also improve in japa.

This is necessary in my spiritual advancement and also to my devotional service. For me it doesn't matter much when I am going to die, one day my gurudev said in a lecture that for a devotee this doesn't really matter, a devotee's service is eternal - here or everywhere he is....so the main thing is to be able to develop this relationship with the Lord through chanting and obtain a taste for chanting by doing that we can be fearless because we are in Krsna and He is in us.

May we become so absorbed in chanting that we won't do anything else but wish the Lord's company through the sound vibration of the names.

No comments:

Post a Comment