The two verses speak about the Essence of Gita

Many great men have expressed their views on the Essence of Gita. Starting with Swamiji Maharajji, he said the Essence of Gita is only Sharanagati, the idea of Sharnagati comes in Gitaji at the beginning, in the middle and at the end of the teaching.
Beginning - Arjuna takes up Sharanagati
Verse (2-7): Karpanyadosophatasv abhavah,
prcchami tvam dharmsamudhacetah
yac chreyah syan niscitam bruhi tan me,
sisays te 'ham sadhi mam tvam prapannam
Meaning: My very being is overpowered by the sense of faint heartedness, my
understanding is confused as to duty. I ask Thee. Tell me, for certain, which
is better. I am Thy disciple; pray instruct me, who has sought refuge in Thee.
Middle - Lord Krishna declares the position of those devotees who solely depend on Him.
Verse (9-22): ananyas cintayanto mam, ye janah paryupaste
tesam nityabhuktanam, yogaksemam vahamy aham
Meaning: Those devotees, however, who worship Me alone thinking of none else and ever
united, I Myself attend to their wants and needs and provide them with security of
what they have.
At the End: After listening to verse (18-66), which is the Sharnagati verse, Lord Krishna asks Arjuna about his state of mind after listening to the whole of Gita, Arjuna says -
Verse (18-73): nasto mohah smrtir labdha, tvaprasadan maya 'cyuta
sthito 'smi gatasamdehah, karisye vacanam tava
Meaning: My delusion is destroyed, my memory has come back with Thy grace, O
Acuhuta, I stand firm, my doubts dispelled, I shall do Thy bidding.
After this point in Gitaji, there is no more "Sri Bhagvan-uvac" or even "Arjuna-uvac" , which says the whole Gita teaching is complete, it is at this time when Arjuna surrenders and embraces Sharnagati completely, he surrenders his ego to Lord Krishna.
Adi Sankracharya says - Essence of Gita is contained in -
Verse (11-55): matkarrmakrn matparamo, madbhaktah sangavarjitah
nirvairah sarvabhutesu yah sa mam eti pandava
Meaning: He who performs all actions for Me, to whom I am the Supreme, he My devotee, has no attachment, and is free from malice towards all beings, reaches Me, O Pandava.
Swami Vivekananda says - If one reads the following shloka, one gets all the merits of reading the entire Gita; for in this one shaloka lies imbedded the whole Message of the Gita.
Verse (2-3): klaibyam ma sma gamah Partha, nai 'tat tvay upapadyate
ksudram hrdaydaurbalyam, tyatvo 'ttistha paamtapa
"Yield not to unmanliness, O son of Pratha! It does not become of thee. Caste off this mean faint heartedness and arise, O scorcher of thy enemies!"
Ram Ram

No comments:

Post a Comment